Northwestern Ohio Talks

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Northwestern Ohio Talks

+4
dukester2
Ouroborus
Chapstick
Izzy
8 posters

Local News Stories.

Izzy
    Izzy
    Admin

Local News Stories. Empty Local News Stories.

Post  Izzy Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Post our local news stories here. Only links and a teaser please. Thanks ! Smile
    Chapstick
    Chapstick

Local News Stories. Empty Re: Local News Stories.

Post  Chapstick Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm not sure if this will actually make the news but today around 2:30pm at the Duke and Duchess shop on the corner of Cable and Allentown was swarmed with American Township cops. They had a guy with his hands on the trunk of his car and it looked like they were searching his vehicle. He wasn't at a pump either. Any hoot I just wondered what all the fuss was about!
    Izzy
    Izzy
    Admin

Post  Izzy Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 pm

Haven't heard about it. I wonder what it was. scratch
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Chapstick wrote:I'm not sure if this will actually make the news but today around 2:30pm at the Duke and Duchess shop on the corner of Cable and Allentown was swarmed with American Township cops. They had a guy with his hands on the trunk of his car and it looked like they were searching his vehicle. He wasn't at a pump either. Any hoot I just wondered what all the fuss was about!
    I think you got the 'teaser' part down pat.
    dukester2
    dukester2

Post  dukester2 Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Ouroborus wrote:
    Chapstick wrote:I'm not sure if this will actually make the news but today around 2:30pm at the Duke and Duchess shop on the corner of Cable and Allentown was swarmed with American Township cops. They had a guy with his hands on the trunk of his car and it looked like they were searching his vehicle. He wasn't at a pump either. Any hoot I just wondered what all the fuss was about!
    I think you got the 'teaser' part down pat.

Hubba Hubba!
    I hate ignorance

Post  I hate ignorance Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 am

What in the world happened on Fairview Ave. yesterday. It was right after school let out, and it looked pretty serious.
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:00 am

I hate ignorance wrote:What in the world happened on Fairview Ave. yesterday. It was right after school let out, and it looked pretty serious.

I heard that the local Lima gang 'Ghost Face Killas' stole the crossing guards' flag.
    dolphinlover

Post  dolphinlover Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 pm

O or Nan did you hear anything about the Orchard Tree Rest. closing without notice? Just curious..
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 pm

dolphinlover wrote:O or Nan did you hear anything about the Orchard Tree Rest. closing without notice? Just curious..
    Yes, it closed Monday AM, or rather didn't open, I guess. Local newspaper had a short, one paragraph article about it. Owner told the staff Sunday night after their shift that they would not reopen Monday. Merry f'ing Christmas, employees!!
    I hate ignorance

Post  I hate ignorance Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Ouroborus wrote:
    dolphinlover wrote:O or Nan did you hear anything about the Orchard Tree Rest. closing without notice? Just curious..
    Yes, it closed Monday AM, or rather didn't open, I guess. Local newspaper had a short, one paragraph article about it. Owner told the staff Sunday night after their shift that they would not reopen Monday. Merry f'ing Christmas, employees!!

You said it right there O, Merry f'ing Christmas, employees!
    What an asshole that store owner is. I understand he was obviously not making a profit, or he wouldn't have closed, but we only have a couple weeks!! Wait until after the holidays! What a prick!!
    dolphinlover

Post  dolphinlover Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:51 pm

If I am not mistaken the owner used to run Pierre's the night club in Fort Wayne. He is definitely an asshole if he didn't give his employees and customers a warning. Just sad that yet another business has closed up Sad
    dukester2
    dukester2

Post  dukester2 Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:33 am

Nic-Nic sent me a txt yesterday saying that a car ran into the
    Dunkin Jewelry business on Elida and Cable. I haven't heard any details. Anyone hear?
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:55 am

dukester2 wrote:Nic-Nic sent me a txt yesterday saying that a car ran into the
    Dunkin Jewelry business on Elida and Cable. I haven't heard any details. Anyone hear?
    It was a cop that thought it said 'Dunkin Donuts' but he couldn't find the drive-through.Local News Stories. 2411
    LinLin9903
    LinLin9903

Local News Stories. Empty Davenport News

Post  LinLin9903 Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:37 am

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_b2075554-fb52-11de-8f2a-001cc4c03286.html

Police officer not charged in hitting pedestrian.

There's a line that says "The pedestrian won't be charged for not yielding the right of way to the police car". (yeah, I paraphrased a little). I thought the walker had the right of way (unless lights/sirens were on). Apparently, NO! Question Question
    dukester2
    dukester2

Post  dukester2 Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 am

LinLin9903 wrote:http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_b2075554-fb52-11de-8f2a-001cc4c03286.html

There's a line that says "The pedestrian won't be charged for not yielding the right of way to the police car". (yeah, I paraphrased a little). I thought the walker had the right of way (unless lights/sirens were on). Apparently, NO! Question Question

Yeah, you would sure think that if Joe Public was driving that car and hit a 17 year old, the ending to that story would be a whole lot different.
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:34 pm

dukester2 wrote:
    LinLin9903 wrote:http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_b2075554-fb52-11de-8f2a-001cc4c03286.html

Yeah, you would sure think that if Joe Public was driving that car and hit a 17 year old, the ending to that story would be a whole lot different.

You cop-bashers always take the side of the innocent pedestrians!! It's only a very, very, very, very, very, very small percentage of cops who abuse their status and privelege to bend the laws to their advantage. If you're a law-abiding citizen, you have nothing to fear from the average godlike patrol officer. We only taser those who truly deserve it, dammit! Carry on, there's nothing to see here.
    Izzy
    Izzy
    Admin

Post  Izzy Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:51 pm

As the two officers patrolled the area, the 17-year-old, who was wearing a dark jacket with the hood over his head and blue jeans, and was listening to a portable media device with headphones, walked into the street and into the vehicle.

Sounds like it was the pedestrians fault. If you walk into a vehicle that's moving on the street that would be your fault. I also wonder if he was violating some sort of curfew too. Sounds almost like the kid was jaywalking or at a light and didn't have the right to cross the street at that moment and walked right into the cruiser. It doesn't say the path of the cruiser too. I can only speculate, but it does sound as if the pedestrian was at fault this time.

Not all cops are bad, guys. My husband is technically suppose to carry a tazer, but doesn't. We've talked about it and we don't think it's safe, and really don't feel like having a lawsuit slapped on us so we lose what little we do have. That, and what if the officer mistakenly grabs his gun instead of his tazer, or vice versa? Could be bad for the officer, or the citizen. I'd still like to know the real threat of being tazed on someone's heart, it can't be good. Our hearts are run by an electrical current, and a shock I would think could, or would possibly disrupt that current. Think about it, when someone's tazed their whole body locks up and renders your muscles useless. I don't blame this type of technology being used in the police depts. on the police, I blame it on the govt. The technology came from there first and was introduced to your local law enforcement, and probably given incentives to use it. We have a friend that works for the govt. and you wouldn't believe what the govt. has that they're working on. It's unbelievable ! Makes me want Jesus to come back a little faster... Shocked
    LinLin9903
    LinLin9903

Post  LinLin9903 Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Izzy wrote:
    As the two officers patrolled the area, the 17-year-old, who was wearing a dark jacket with the hood over his head and blue jeans, and was listening to a portable media device with headphones, walked into the street and into the vehicle.

Sounds like it was the pedestrians fault. If you walk into a vehicle that's moving on the street that would be your fault. I also wonder if he was violating some sort of curfew too. Sounds almost like the kid was jaywalking or at a light and didn't have the right to cross the street at that moment and walked right into the cruiser. It doesn't say the path of the cruiser too. I can only speculate, but it does sound as if the pedestrian was at fault this time.

Not all cops are bad, guys. My husband is technically suppose to carry a tazer, but doesn't. We've talked about it and we don't think it's safe, and really don't feel like having a lawsuit slapped on us so we lose what little we do have. That, and what if the officer mistakenly grabs his gun instead of his tazer, or vice versa? Could be bad for the officer, or the citizen. I'd still like to know the real threat of being tazed on someone's heart, it can't be good. Our hearts are run by an electrical current, and a shock I would think could, or would possibly disrupt that current. Think about it, when someone's tazed their whole body locks up and renders your muscles useless. I don't blame this type of technology being used in the police depts. on the police, I blame it on the govt. The technology came from there first and was introduced to your local law enforcement, and probably given incentives to use it. We have a friend that works for the govt. and you wouldn't believe what the govt. has that they're working on. It's unbelievable ! Makes me want Jesus to come back a little faster... Shocked

Nah, I get that the kid wasn't paying attention. I get that it could be his fault. My whole beef with the story was the line "The kid didn't yield the right of way to the police car." I have NEVER heard of a pedestrian having to yield to a car. I usually yield to cars because I don't need to end up in the ER, but when I'm driving and someone walks out in front of me (in a parking lot, usually), I tend to stop. And I don't know if Kewanee has a curfew for teens. Kewanee is in IL, and I don't go there unless I'm heading home.
    dukester2
    dukester2

Post  dukester2 Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 am

Izzy wrote:

For the record, I don't think all cops are bad, no more than I think all black people eat chicken and watermelon all day, all white people can't dance, all Japanese people say the word, 'election', funny, or that all Mexicans are illegal aliens.

Interesting questions about the effects of tazers on the human heart. I wonder what the statistics are on permanent damage to people are on this? I always thought that cattle prods were inhumane, and now we are shooting electrical darts into humans and watching them flop around like fish out of water. Yep, makes rational sense to me.
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I hate ignorance wrote:
    Ouroborus wrote:

You said it right there O, Merry f'ing Christmas, employees!
    What an asshole that store owner is. I understand he was obviously not making a profit, or he wouldn't have closed, but we only have a couple weeks!! Wait until after the holidays! What a prick!!

Orchard Tree re-opened Monday morning under new ownership. Don't know about whether old employees rehired or what. Parking lot was full this morning when I went by about noonish. Good luck.
    NAN
    NAN

Post  NAN Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I don't know if I can find the article with an interview from the Orchard Tree employees. They did defend Mark, the owner. They said he was a really good boss and most seemed to be understanding. I just wonder what really happened?
    Happy to see it is reopened, but haven't heard anything about who, what or why.
    Did you know The Pit Stop is now opened for breakfast? They decided to try & help pick up that crowd.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:50 am