Northwestern Ohio Talks

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Northwestern Ohio Talks

+4
Chapstick
misspearl
dukester2
Mickey
8 posters

Earthquake in Haiti

Mickey
    Mickey

Earthquake in Haiti Empty Earthquake in Haiti

Post  Mickey Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 am

Has anyone been following the earthquake in Haiti? The devestation is unbelieveable. It isn't like that country was poor enough to begin with, then they get hit with a disaster like this? The news is reporting 100,000 - 150,000 might be dead and people are being buried in mass graves. I saw footage of people being "poured" into massive holes in the ground from dump trucks. Definitely heart-breaking.
    dukester2
    dukester2

Earthquake in Haiti Empty Re: Earthquake in Haiti

Post  dukester2 Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Mickey wrote:Has anyone been following the earthquake in Haiti? The devestation is unbelieveable. It isn't like that country was poor enough to begin with, then they get hit with a disaster like this? The news is reporting 100,000 - 150,000 might be dead and people are being buried in mass graves. I saw footage of people being "poured" into massive holes in the ground from dump trucks. Definitely heart-breaking.

Yes, it is heart-wrenching:(
    misspearl
    misspearl

Post  misspearl Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Mickey wrote:Has anyone been following the earthquake in Haiti? The devestation is unbelieveable. It isn't like that country was poor enough to begin with, then they get hit with a disaster like this? The news is reporting 100,000 - 150,000 might be dead and people are being buried in mass graves. I saw footage of people being "poured" into massive holes in the ground from dump trucks. Definitely heart-breaking.
    This is one of those stories that is gripping us all. You can't seem to get enough coverage, as painful as it is to see. It's all bearable when you get to see some of the miracle rescues taking place and some of the adoptions being expedited. I guess we Americans have to be jolted into reality every now and then. Somehow whining about our 401k's, or not being able to buy that new car or plasma TV because we had to take a paycut...none of that is really important compared to what these people have lost. I am glad the Haitians haven't lost their faith. God Bless them.
    dukester2
    dukester2

Post  dukester2 Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:14 am

misspearl wrote:
    This is one of those stories that is gripping us all. You can't seem to get enough coverage, as painful as it is to see. It's all bearable when you get to see some of the miracle rescues taking place and some of the adoptions being expedited. I guess we Americans have to be jolted into reality every now and then. Somehow whining about our 401k's, or not being able to buy that new car or plasma TV because we had to take a paycut...none of that is really important compared to what these people have lost. I am glad the Haitians haven't lost their faith. God Bless them.

Well said, misspearl. I think there may be hope for you afterall, (lol)
    Chapstick
    Chapstick

Post  Chapstick Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:17 am

On the Today show this morning they showed a little girl who had lost her mother and every woman she saw she would reach out calling for her mother. It broke my heart.
    misspearl
    misspearl

Post  misspearl Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 pm

dukester2 wrote:
    misspearl wrote:

Well said, misspearl. I think there may be hope for you afterall, (lol)
    Thanks, duke. That's what a lot of people have said to me over these many (many) years.
    Mickey
    Mickey

Post  Mickey Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:45 am

Haiti was hit with a 6.1 aftershock today. Haven't they had enough? What is amazing is there are still people being pulled out of the rubble alive after 7 days of being buried.

Maybe someone can explain something to me that I don't understand. Why is the aftershock of 6.1 not considered another earthquake?
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:53 am

Mickey wrote:Haiti was hit with a 6.1 aftershock today. Haven't they had enough? What is amazing is there are still people being pulled out of the rubble alive after 7 days of being buried.

Maybe someone can explain something to me that I don't understand. Why is the aftershock of 6.1 not considered another earthquake?

It's like your multiple orgasms.....once you've had the first, the next ones are just aftershocks.
    misspearl
    misspearl

Post  misspearl Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:58 am

Ouroborus wrote:
    Mickey wrote:Haiti was hit with a 6.1 aftershock today. Haven't they had enough? What is amazing is there are still people being pulled out of the rubble alive after 7 days of being buried.

It's like your multiple orgasms.....once you've had the first, the next ones are just aftershocks.
    I can't help it. I like you. (I'm just a little worried about what that says about myself.)lol
    Ouroborus
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:05 pm

misspearl wrote:
    Ouroborus wrote:

I can't help it. I like you. (I'm just a little worried about what that says about myself.)lol

Just call me 'Fungi', cause I grow on you. (But you are a sick puppy)
    NAN
    NAN

Post  NAN Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 pm

I was wondering that too. Someone told me it was even a different plate in the earth that shifted.
    QThornton
    QThornton

Post  QThornton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:08 am

On the front page of the paper today there is a story about 20 orphans coming over from Haiti to Lima. Traveling back with some missionaries.

I'm going to touch base with Kari listed n the article and see if there are any specific donations they are looking for to help put these kids lives back together.....I'll let you know
    QThornton
    QThornton

Post  QThornton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 am

Ok.... I spoke with Kari. She said they are all set up for the kids coming over, but what they'd like is donations of:
    gauze
    Neosporin
    Tylenol
    bandages
    tape

First Aid supplies. I told her I would take donations here at Patrick Staffing, and she'll get them to her mom to take back to Haiti with her.
    Izzy
    Izzy
    Admin

Post  Izzy Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:47 am

So where exactly are these orphaned children going when they get here? Do they have families lined up for foster care or adoption? I'd gladly adopt or foster one of those children, but I'm betting the paper work and lawyers fees would be more than we could afford. I wonder if the govt. will help with adoption fees and the such... I hate seeing children orphaned or abandoned. If I could take in all the children like that, I would.
    QThornton
    QThornton

Post  QThornton Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Izzy wrote:So where exactly are these orphaned children going when they get here? Do they have families lined up for foster care or adoption? I'd gladly adopt or foster one of those children, but I'm betting the paper work and lawyers fees would be more than we could afford. I wonder if the govt. will help with adoption fees and the such... I hate seeing children orphaned or abandoned. If I could take in all the children like that, I would.

Everything is all lined up apparently.

There is a guy from Lima who runs a school in Haiti, and he's assisting with the transition. Some of them are coming over via Grant $$ and Govt. $$
    misspearl
    misspearl

Post  misspearl Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:56 pm

QThornton wrote:Ok.... I spoke with Kari. She said they are all set up for the kids coming over, but what they'd like is donations of:
    gauze
    Neosporin
    Tylenol
    bandages
    tape

First Aid supplies. I told her I would take donations here at Patrick Staffing, and she'll get them to her mom to take back to Haiti with her.
    How long will you be taking donations of the first aid supplies? Anything else of urgent need?
    QThornton
    QThornton

Post  QThornton Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Kari said they will be bringing the kids over in a few Waves. Chris will be going back and forth with each group, so I'll let you know when we stop taking donations, because I have no idea how long that will be. A quote from Kari about what's going on over there:

"The article in the paper said the Red Cross donated supplies which was a misquote. The 5000 pounds of supplies in PAP now were gathered this week by people like us acting together. Every little bit put together is what makes things happen. Red Cross is afraid to leave the airport right now & their supplies are useless. We can make a difference!"

I was in South Florida during hurricane Andrew. I remember the relief effort there. we were bottling water, and sending it North to them via Truck, it was insane. I can't even begin to imagine the chaos in haiti right now!
    misspearl
    misspearl

Post  misspearl Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:10 pm

QThornton wrote:Kari said they will be bringing the kids over in a few Waves. Chris will be going back and forth with each group, so I'll let you know when we stop taking donations, because I have no idea how long that will be. A quote from Kari about what's going on over there:

"The article in the paper said the Red Cross donated supplies which was a misquote. The 5000 pounds of supplies in PAP now were gathered this week by people like us acting together. Every little bit put together is what makes things happen. Red Cross is afraid to leave the airport right now & their supplies are useless. We can make a difference!"

I was in South Florida during hurricane Andrew. I remember the relief effort there. we were bottling water, and sending it North to them via Truck, it was insane. I can't even begin to imagine the chaos in haiti right now!
    Thanks Q.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm