Northwestern Ohio Talks

Winter 2009

Izzy
    Admin

Winter 2009

Post  Izzy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:26 am

I found out how bitterly cold it was last night when I took a movie back. I was just informed a few minutes ago by my children that it's spitting snow too. At least if it's going to be cold it's going to snow sometimes.

I read in the farmers almanac online that we were suppose to get hardly any snow this season and it's suppose to be bitterly cold. I hope not. The one goes with the other.
    CDSMOM

Re: Winter 2009

Post  CDSMOM on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:55 pm

The kiddies just noticed it was spitting snow here and Delaney wants to know if she can open her Christmas presents now since it's Christmas.
    Izzy
    Admin

Post  Izzy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:22 pm

CDSMOM wrote:The kiddies just noticed it was spitting snow here and Delaney wants to know if she can open her Christmas presents now since it's Christmas.

Lol. That's cute.

I guess I can count myself lucky that mine haven't asked me that yet.
    LinLin9903

Post  LinLin9903 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Hrm. I wonder if we're gonna get a bad storm. My cat is acting up more than usual! He's been super meow-y (he usually only really meows about an hour before he's supposed to be fed), and just SUPER annoying.

So, either we're gonna get a BIG storm, or he's just super hungry today. lol
    LinLin9903

Post  LinLin9903 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:41 pm

toolgirl wrote:
    LinLin9903 wrote:Hrm. I wonder if we're gonna get a bad storm. My cat is acting up more than usual! He's been super meow-y (he usually only really meows about an hour before he's supposed to be fed), and just SUPER annoying.

Lin.....you in the blizzard????

I must explain an Iowa blizzard.... It doesn't mean MASSIVE amounts of snow that lasts for hours and hours.... Here, blizzard means snow, yes, but WIND that blows everything around causing white-outs.

So, it's quite possible we had a "blizzard" last night after I was already in bed. lol But, as of right now where I'm at (in town), no, no blizzard.

And the 6-12" we were gonna get... I think we got 4. LOL I'm pretty sure the Mississippi affects the weather here. Al said he was watching the storm, and when it got to our area, it split and went around the river, leaving us with way less snow than forecasted. I don't mind, though!!
    Mickey

Post  Mickey on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:15 pm

LinLin9903 wrote:
    toolgirl wrote:
    LinLin9903 wrote:Hrm. I wonder if we're gonna get a bad storm. My cat is acting up more than usual! He's been super meow-y (he usually only really meows about an hour before he's supposed to be fed), and just SUPER annoying.

I must explain an Iowa blizzard.... It doesn't mean MASSIVE amounts of snow that lasts for hours and hours.... Here, blizzard means snow, yes, but WIND that blows everything around causing white-outs.

So, it's quite possible we had a "blizzard" last night after I was already in bed. lol But, as of right now where I'm at (in town), no, no blizzard.

And the 6-12" we were gonna get... I think we got 4. LOL I'm pretty sure the Mississippi affects the weather here. Al said he was watching the storm, and when it got to our area, it split and went around the river, leaving us with way less snow than forecasted. I don't mind, though!!

Funny you say that about the weather "splitting" and going around you. That happens around here all the time ~ it probably has something to do with the refinery messing up the ozone or some shit.
    Chapstick

Post  Chapstick on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Mickey wrote:
    LinLin9903 wrote:
    toolgirl wrote:

Funny you say that about the weather "splitting" and going around you. That happens around here all the time ~ it probably has something to do with the refinery messing up the ozone or some shit.

That is exactly what my husband thinks! It's crazy to watch the radar map and actually see a storm split in half. Lin feel lucky, my friends in Iowa all had classes canceled and one guy can't get out of his house. They're in Ames though, not sure where that's located in comparison to you.
    LinLin9903

Post  LinLin9903 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:02 am

Chapstick wrote:
    Mickey wrote:
    LinLin9903 wrote:
    toolgirl wrote:

That is exactly what my husband thinks! It's crazy to watch the radar map and actually see a storm split in half. Lin feel lucky, my friends in Iowa all had classes canceled and one guy can't get out of his house. They're in Ames though, not sure where that's located in comparison to you.

Ames is about 3.5 hours west, and a little north of me. I think the "official" amount we got was 7 inches, but it was spread out over 2 days, so it didn't seem like we got that much. I am glad that I'm not snowed in, but still.. I hate when the weather people make the storm sound HUGE and it turns out to be nothing. Oh well!!!
    dukester2

Post  dukester2 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:03 am

Funny you say that about the weather "splitting" and going around you. That happens around here all the time ~ it probably has something to do with the refinery messing up the ozone or som
    e shit.

I've heard a lot of people say that, and I don't know if it has any substance to it, but I for one am not complaining if it is.
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:28 am

Chapstick wrote:
    Mickey wrote:
    LinLin9903 wrote:
    toolgirl wrote:

Ames is the right armpit of Iowa and Davenport is the left.
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Hey, LinLin, my fathers family is from Pilot Mound Iowa. Ever hear of it? It's teensy-weensy. Just a gas station, 8 churches, and 10 bars from what I remember from visiting as a child. I can understand why my Dad joined the Marines as soon as he could.
    LinLin9903

Post  LinLin9903 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Ouroborus wrote:Hey, LinLin, my fathers family is from Pilot Mound Iowa. Ever hear of it? It's teensy-weensy. Just a gas station, 8 churches, and 10 bars from what I remember from visiting as a child. I can understand why my Dad joined the Marines as soon as he could.

Never heard of it, but I looked it up on Yahoo! maps, and that's way over by Ames. I'm barely familiar with the towns around Davenport, let alone Ames/Des Moines.. lol
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:33 pm

LinLin9903 wrote:
    Ouroborus wrote:Hey, LinLin, my fathers family is from Pilot Mound Iowa. Ever hear of it? It's teensy-weensy. Just a gas station, 8 churches, and 10 bars from what I remember from visiting as a child. I can understand why my Dad joined the Marines as soon as he could.

Never heard of it, but I looked it up on Yahoo! maps, and that's way over by Ames. I'm barely familiar with the towns around Davenport, let alone Ames/Des Moines.. lol
    Thanks for taking the time to look it up. Tell you what, go to the outskirts of Davenport, where there's about 2 houses every mile and you'll be able to visualize Pilot Mound. Very Happy
    Mickey

Post  Mickey on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:45 am

Since this is the "weather" thread, I was just curious . . . the itsy-bitsy town of Pilot Mound, is that the test grounds for super huge piles of snow, thus the name Pilot Mound? Or is it the test ground for something else in great big piles??? Laughing
    Ouroborus

Post  Ouroborus on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 am

Mickey wrote:Since this is the "weather" thread, I was just curious . . . the itsy-bitsy town of Pilot Mound, is that the test grounds for super huge piles of snow, thus the name Pilot Mound? Or is it the test ground for something else in great big piles??? Laughing
    It was so named because it had a 'Pilots' lighthouse atop the mound so that the 'prairie frigates' wouldn't run aground on the shoals of the vast wheat fields of Iowa. geek

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 am