Northwestern Ohio Talks

New law or a joke?

Chapstick

New law or a joke?

Post  Chapstick on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:40 pm

I heard today on Glenn Beck radio that Ohio has issued a new law and will begin enforcing it soon. The new law states that if you are using your windshield wipers on your vehicle then you MUST have your head lights on. I didn't hear anything of what a fine might cost a person but they will begin to enforce this soon.

I kinda think this is crap but obviously there is a reason behind it. Anyone have any ideas how this came to be? I'm curious!
    Ouroborus

Re: New law or a joke?

Post  Ouroborus on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Chapstick wrote:I heard today on Glenn Beck radio that Ohio has issued a new law and will begin enforcing it soon. The new law states that if you are using your windshield wipers on your vehicle then you MUST have your head lights on. I didn't hear anything of what a fine might cost a person but they will begin to enforce this soon.

I kinda think this is crap but obviously there is a reason behind it. Anyone have any ideas how this came to be? I'm curious!

http://blog.cleveland.com/brunswicksuntimes/2009/07/new_ohio_law_requires_drivers.html

Two words....'Revenue Enhancement'.

Jerry

Post  Jerry on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:10 pm

Been a law in several states for quite some time. I ran into it six years ago in Florida. The Deputy Sheriff let me off with a warning. I think it's the law in Pennsylvania too.
    Chapstick

Post  Chapstick on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:49 am

Asking a few of my friends about it I guess it's a law in Maryland and Illinois as well. I'm just wondering how many people aren't going to know about this and get a ticket. It's not like it rains or snows here when the suns out lol.
    Izzy
    Admin

Post  Izzy on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm going to be a smart alec and ask... What if a person RainX's their windows and doesn't need to use their wipers? I use to RainX my car all the time, and didn't need to use my wipers unless I was in a downpour. People turn on their wipers at different times no matter what the weather is like. I have to tell Eric to use his when he is driving. He'll wait until the window is covered before he flips on the wipers. While it bugs me to have anything on my window. So how are they going to decide what constitutes a citation ? Or, are they just going to say, "well you had your wipers on but no lights, so here's your ticket?" Well, what if I was cleaning my window? Do I have to flip on my lights to clean my window? Since I have to have my lights on when my wipers are on, do I have to have my wipers on while my lights are on? While I agree that you should have to have your lights on in bad weather, there is just too much wiggle room on the law's side. I think I'm going to be looking up the code on this to read all it says.
    dukester2

Post  dukester2 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:52 am

Izzy wrote:I'm going to be a smart alec and ask... What if a person RainX's their windows and doesn't need to use their wipers? I use to RainX my car all the time, and didn't need to use my wipers unless I was in a downpour. People turn on their wipers at different times no matter what the weather is like. I have to tell Eric to use his when he is driving. He'll wait until the window is covered before he flips on the wipers. While it bugs me to have anything on my window. So how are they going to decide what constitutes a citation ? Or, are they just going to say, "well you had your wipers on but no lights, so here's your ticket?" Well, what if I was cleaning my window? Do I have to flip on my lights to clean my window? Since I have to have my lights on when my wipers are on, do I have to have my wipers on while my lights are on? While I agree that you should have to have your lights on in bad weather, there is just too much wiggle room on the law's side. I think I'm going to be looking up the code on this to read all it says.

While I agree that it is a goofy law, I believe the concept for turning your lights on is that if it's raining, then it will be easier for other people to see you coming if you have your lights on. I'm sure that you will see new vehicles that have this feature where your lights come on whenever your wipers are on. I can see intermittent wipers and lights flashing as you are driving down the road.
    misspearl

Post  misspearl on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Izzy wrote:I'm going to be a smart alec and ask... What if a person RainX's their windows and doesn't need to use their wipers? I use to RainX my car all the time, and didn't need to use my wipers unless I was in a downpour. People turn on their wipers at different times no matter what the weather is like. I have to tell Eric to use his when he is driving. He'll wait until the window is covered before he flips on the wipers. While it bugs me to have anything on my window. So how are they going to decide what constitutes a citation ? Or, are they just going to say, "well you had your wipers on but no lights, so here's your ticket?" Well, what if I was cleaning my window? Do I have to flip on my lights to clean my window? Since I have to have my lights on when my wipers are on, do I have to have my wipers on while my lights are on? While I agree that you should have to have your lights on in bad weather, there is just too much wiggle room on the law's side. I think I'm going to be looking up the code on this to read all it says.
    These are all good points, Izzy. Keep us posted. I do this anyway. I've always thought it was common sense.
    QThornton

Post  QThornton on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:39 pm

A quick poll here...

how many of you have cars that turn your headlights on automatically anyways? My jeep ahs the reduced light driving headlights. My caddilac has low light sensing headlights...
    Jerry

Post  Jerry on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:47 pm

My Ford doesn't but my Chevy does.
    misspearl

Post  misspearl on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Not here. My Dodge Van is too old.
    rubyb

Post  rubyb on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:38 pm

I had a GMC Sanoma that the lights would come on as soon as you started the truck. I never did figure how to turn them off though LOL I have a Jeep LIberty now and it doesn't have that feature.
    NAN

Post  NAN on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 pm

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/80216682.html

This is a secondary offense. They cannot be pulled over for that alone...they can 'make up' a reason to stop you then be ticketed and fined. It is a $100. fine. The law has been in effect for about 6 months and they have only been issuing warnings. Why I say that is our son was pulled over one night and the cop said he ran his tags & they were expired...duh...he had the little tag in the corner with the upcoming year of his b-day. He wasn't speeding or driving irratic, the cop said he ran it 2 times, so my son told him to run it again so he could listen...guess what...his tags came back OK. Then the officer let him go on his way.
    Izzy
    Admin

Post  Izzy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:48 am

dukester2 wrote:

While I agree that it is a goofy law, I believe the concept for turning your lights on is that if it's raining, then it will be easier for other people to see you coming if you have your lights on. I'm sure that you will see new vehicles that have this feature where your lights come on whenever your wipers are on. I can see intermittent wipers and lights flashing as you are driving down the road.

I always have turned my lights on, even during the day. I just bypass the day lamps and go straight for the headlights. It gets cloudy and overcast here a lot and I want to make sure people see me. I just think that the law is too broad and not well thought out. I'm with Misspearl on this one.

My Town and Country's daytime running lamps turn on when the van does. Our Ford truck doesn't.

You know, Duke, that is a good idea about the car companies having a feature that activates your lights while your wipers are running. Now since you said that, they'll be doing that soon. Smile
    Izzy
    Admin

Post  Izzy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:59 am

What pisses me off is the stupid ABS kicking in. I hate that crud. The person who invented that crud needs to be pushed stairs. I personally think it's dangerous. I want to pump my own brakes. I've almost went through intersections before standing on my brakes because the ABS kicked in and was pushing my petal back at me. One time I slide into one. The ABS thinks I'm sliding immensely when I'm not, and I'd be able to stop on well enough on my own without it. I usually start pumping my brakes now half a block down so it doesn't kick in because it's so flipping touchy. One time it kicked in when I was almost to a complete stop. Stupid Crud ! That, and I hate front wheel drive with a passion. They need to bring back rear wheel drive mini-vans. I had one once that Ford made, but my ex screwed up that vehicle like he does every other one he gets his hands on. I loved that van in the winter. I didn't get stuck out at my parents house in it like I did my front wheel drive that just keeps digging you in even if you rock it.

Sorry for the rant and getting off topic, but since it was car related, you know...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:12 am